Millions of people are wondering “how to record screen on Windows 10 machine” and none of the articles tell you the best way to do it. It’s funny that I couldn’t find the right tutorial to teach me the recording requirements, instructions, and recording demos.
However, I will not make the same mistake and will provide detailed information on requirements, programs, configurations, and demos. You can copy my settings and start recording on and even streaming to mid-range Windows machines.
How to record screen in Windows 10
Know the requirements first because I don’t want to waste your time installing, trying, and concluding that you don’t have a computer with decent hardware. I want to inform readers that I stream on YouTube and use various programs to record & amp; streaming. In short, I am extremely good at this space and I know the elements in depth.
System requirements to record screen in Windows 10:
Processor: You need a quad-core processor for a smooth experience. The dual-core Core i3 processor is a standard option and anything less than the Core i3 can create problems. Currently, I am using the Ryzen 5 1600 processor (6-core & 2-thread), which is an equivalent of the 9th Gen Core i5.
RAM: The minimum requirement is 4 GB and I recommend 8 GB of RAM for recording & amp; streaming. Of course, DDR4 3000MHz is recommended and anything less than 1600MHz will definitely affect performance. If you are only recording the screen, then 1600MHz will suffice.
Graphics card: A decent GPU is needed to record 1080p resolution in high quality. Currently, I am using RX 570 (4GB) and it should be enough to record & amp; streaming. Nvidia’s GT series should suffice for screen recording because Nvidia designed the GT series. Any graphics card in the GTX series is capable of recording the screen in 1080p resolution.
Integrated graphics or video memory: Intel graphics are a popular choice for modern laptops. However, I will not recommend Intel integrated graphics because they lack power and cannot produce a high-quality image. You may not have a smoother experience and modern Intel chipsets (8th generation processors) can provide 1080p screen recording.
SSD or HDD: SSD drive is much faster and recommended for screen recording. Of course, I don’t recommend buying an SSD for a one-time recording. Make sure to provide 10GB of free space in the store because high video quality consumes 10MB – 50MB per second.
I tried to record the screen at 1.8GHz + 4GB + 1TB HDD + AMD Quad-Core Processor + Integrated Graphics and the machine crashed. I am going to provide enough options and suggestions for recording your computer screen at 30FPS, so be sure to read the entire tutorial.
1. OBS Studio (Free)
OBS Studio is a freeware & amp; an open-source project used by millions of people around the world. Even professional streamers use the OBS studio because it is probably the highest-end and highest-quality show. I even use the OBS studio for YouTube streaming and recording.
OBS Studio lacks a couple of things when it comes to recording capabilities, but it is free software that is unrivaled in the category. I’m not even going to take a paragraph to explain the features of OBS because it has everything the screen recording + streaming program should have.
- Download and expand; Install OBS Studio on a Windows 10 PC. Windows program consists of 72MB & amp; 250MB after installation. OBS follows the Windows wizard, so you will have no problem installing it on Windows PC.
Note: Run the program as an administrator. Always run the program as an administrator because some functions don’t work without the owner’s permission, and that’s the way it is.
- Click Tools and select Auto Configuration Wizard to configure basic settings based on hardware capabilities.
- Select the second option Optimize for recording only, I will not record and then click Next to continue.
- I recommend the newbie to stick to the general settings to avoid lag experience. Click Next to continue and stick to the default settings.
- Click Apply Settings to complete screen recording settings.
- Click the plus button and then select Screenshot which records your screen and that’s the term OBS follows.
- Select to keep Capture Cursor or you can make it invisible by deselecting it, and then click OK to continue.
- Follow the same instructions in Step 7 and add the Audio Input Capture that records the audio. Add Audio Output Capture that records desktop audio. I mentioned all the options available on the + button and enhance the recording sequences.
- Tap the settings icon below Start Streaming and Start Recording.
Take a long time to test the options because that’s where the quality settings and the important option are. I must say that administrators have to put their minds to understanding the advanced options. Try OBS Studio for advanced-level recording and controlled environment experience.
Low-End Screen Recording: Continue with the Auto Setup Wizard settings because the program selects the lowest option available for the computer.
2. NVIDIA Shadow Play / In-game Overlay (free)
Millions of laptops & amp; Windows machines are powered by the Nvidia GPU and are responsible for producing advanced image quality. Nvidia targets UI / UIX gamers, streamers, designers, and designers. After listening to the existing customer base, they introduced the Shadow Play, a built-in recording feature that many people don’t know about. Although Nvidia gave up the title, the recording capabilities exist in modern GPUs.
I have used it several times in the past and it offers high-quality video + audio output at 1% GPU usage. Nvidia is calling overlay in-game recording functionality and I don’t see the reason behind it. The official developers worked on the design for weeks because it is an easy-to-use application that took ten minutes to figure out all the options.
- Download GeForce Experience and remember that there are certain hardware or minimum requirements that administrators must meet.
- Click on the gear icon for more options.
- Click General and then click to enable In-game Overlay which will enable the recording capabilities. I recommend exploring the settings because it will give you complete control over the video quality and format.
- Spend at least ten minutes fiddling with the settings.
Note: The total size of the output file is decided based on the video quality setting.
I used GTX 1050 & amp; GTX 1050 Ti for the process and both GPUs come with an entry-level graphics card. I must salute Nvidia for bringing such an amazing feature to the table without sacrificing performance. I recorded PUBG Lite, Apex Legends, and screen recording without slowing down performance.
3. AMD Relive (Free)
AMD is also known as Advanced Micro Devices is a direct competitor of Nvidia in the GPU segment. AMD announced the Relive feature, which is a screen recording + game recording feature for AMD-based GPUs.
I am impressed that AMD offered the feature on APUs as well and I have a laptop that supports it. I want to remind readers that the minimum hardware requirement applies to the Relive feature because my laptop hangs when recording screens due to low-end specs.
I’m using the 4GB edition of AMD RX 570, which is a low-budget GPU offered by the company. In short, I am not using high-end hardware in the process and it works flawlessly on mid-range computers. The manufacturer worked on the user interface to make it more beginner-friendly.
- Open the AMD control panel and select “Revive” from below. Click to activate Relive and let it charge in a few moments.
- Now, click on Recording Desktop to enable screen recording.
- Look at the options I have marked on the list. Make sure to play around with the recording options because that’s what decides the quality of the overall output. Make sure to enable in-game playback because that’s how you control the app.
- Press & amp; hold down ALT + Z and the overlay will appear on the screen.
Now start recording your screen in the highest quality without compromise. You can check the shortcut and options in the overlay and I always use Ctrl + Shift + R to start and stop recording. Choose the Max Recording Bitrate carefully because the file size depends on it.
Low-end screen recording: I shared a snapshot above and copied the configuration of the low-end machine screen recording capabilities.
In general, Relive is a useful feature for AMD & amp; computers with graphics cards.
4. Bandicam (Premium + Free)
Bandicam is developed & amp; licensed by a South Korean software company. Bandicam is a premium solution for screen recording customers that offers easy-to-use programs. I must say that it takes no effort to learn and start screen recording in a few minutes.
Bandicam caught my eye, when I wanted to do online tutorials, and it worked quite well on low-end specs. You can record the screen using the Core i3 processor, 2GB of RAM, and integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics) in 30 fps without problems. I think 60fps can be reached depending on what is loading in the background. Windows PC administrators can use it to record games and to record on the desktop.
- Download & amp; Install the free version for demo and trial purposes.
- Launch the program and then select Video and click on Presets located at the bottom.
- Years of experience is what you find in the presets, and you select one depending on the hardware.
- I have selected H264 60 FPS (AMD VCE) because my graphics card supports it. You may find Intel or Nvidia in the same place depending on which GPU the machine is running.
In my frank opinion, only three of them matter.
- H264 60 FPS (AMD VCE) or Nvidia or Intel.
- Ultra-fast 60 FPS setting – requires a mid-range CPU + GPU.
- Low-end PC for slow & amp; old machines.
Select one of them and start working on the project immediately.
- Click the drop-down menu for more options and select one. I have selected Full Screen which will set the video resolution to the resolution of the monitor.
- Click the Record button to start the process.
- Click on the same area to finish recording, and it will be saved in the default folder. You can change the route in the general options . The default path is at C: \ NNNNUsername \ Documents \ NBandicam and changing it requires a sufficient free space partition.
Bandicam is a premium solution that offers an annual license key for $ 39 (1 PC) and $ 59 (2 PC). Earn additional discounts on packages during auspicious occasions.
5. Ice cream recorder (Premium + Free)
Ice Cream Recorder is a complete solution for desktop recording, game recording, and screenshot taking. The program supports multiple file formats and resolutions to meet the clients’ end. The developers kept the native user interface, to offer an easy-to-use interface. There are limitations to the free edition, which interferes with the overall user experience, and I recommend purchasing the premium version.
Multiple video formats like MP4, AVI, MOV, etc. can be accessed in the premium variant. I thank the developers for providing three crucial presets: Low, Medium, and High by default. There is no need to struggle to figure out the render file size and quality setting. You can add your own watermark and start the process, but it requires a premium edition.
- Download & amp; Install the free edition for testing purposes.
- Click Capture Video and then select one of the presets. I have selected full screen because I always record my full screen and the program selects the monitor resolution and it can be 1366 × 768 (720p) or 1980 × 1080 (1080p).
- The program exits the interface and launches the player.
- Click to record screen or you can enable / disable webcam, speaker and microphone.
- Click to start and stop screen recording and then the video file will be saved to the desktop. You can change the destination folder in save as in the settings and save the recorded videos to local storage. Ice Cream Recorder is a premium edition that charges a one-time fee of $ 29.95 to access premium features.
Finding a reliable screen recorder for Windows 10 is not an easy task because a Google search result offers more than 100 solutions. I have provided solutions that I have tested and perfected; I have tried them daily and then I suggest them to you. I did not make a random list from the internet and recommended it to readers.
- OBS : Advanced program and requires knowledge to use it.
- Nvidia : High-quality, easy-to-use solution with 1% performance sacrifice.
- AMD : Relive works on low-end machines & amp; consumes less CPU + GPU usage. There is no doubt that it records your desktop screen in high-quality resolution.
- Bandicam : Very easy to use and is suitable for beginners and those, who do not have Nvidia or AMD GPUs.
- Ice Cream: A simple & amp; Simple advanced desktop recording program. It is suitable for beginners but consumes CPU resources to provide the production of video recording.
That’s my opinion on how to record screens on Windows 10 PC. Make sure to update the graphics drivers and keep the computer clean for good performance. Set your PC’s power consumption to a high level because you don’t want the laptop’s power plan to slow down performance.